Use Cookies to Remember User Identity?

joscetre

Question

Is it possible to use cookies to remember the identity of a user to streamline the log-in process? Using Javascript I have been able to modify the Caspio appkey cookie to append the user information together with an expiration date. However, when the user logs off and starts a new session, it appears that a new Caspio cookie over-writes any existing cookie on the user's computer. Is there a way to retain the user's identity in a cookie?

Subsequent edit: I have resolved the problem. Just need to be very precise about the cookie formats and handling of different browsers. You may delete this post.

7 answers to this question

I was going through some connections to my internet and I may have removed cookies as I was figuring by removing cookies that I would increase my internet speed. At this point if I try to log on to a bank account my user ID and password are not accepted. Does it sound like this is because I removed cookies and how can I get them back?

Is it possible to use cookies to remember the identity of a user to streamline the log-in process? Using Javascript I have been able to modify the Caspio appkey cookie to append the user information together with an expiration date. However, when the user logs off and starts a new session, it appears that a new Caspio cookie over-writes any existing cookie on the user's computer. Is there a way to retain the user's identity in a cookie? Subsequent edit: I have resolved the problem. Just need to be very precise about the cookie formats and handling of different browsers. You may delete this post.

Hi, how did you do this? I want to implement this a well. Would you like to share the solution? Thanks

Hi dominiq,

If I understand correctly, you want to use the username of a logged in user.

As far as I know, you can use parameters of the Authentication. You can find details in the article, "Inserting authenticated data" chapter.

There is also the "Personalize a Message For Your Users" article.

I hope, it helps.

Thx Jan for your reply.  

What I would like, is the the username is saved "before" the login. 

Most website have something like "remember username" so next time you see the login screen you only have to fill out the password. 

Hi dominiq,

As far as I know, it is impossible to remember user without Authentication. I thunk, it is not safety for users if the system remembers their data.

Maybe, there is a standard function for working with cookies, but I am afraid I do not know it.