How To Create "or" Search With A Multiple-Word String?

m2367

Question

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out how to make my search results work. I have a product database that I want people to be able to search.

The submission form has:

one search field that allows people to type in brand names, materials, adjectives.

Results show:

Products that contain some or all of the words that were typed in.

This is tied to a keyword field that includes lots of product descriptors.

How do I change the logic and rules to make this work?

Do I need to use Javascript to take the full string and separate each word into separate fields?

The regular Caspio "or" logic doesn't work.

Here's an example that might make more sense:

People type in search results "gold shiny purple flowers"

I want to be able to show products that contain gold or shiny or purple or flowers. Ideally the top of the search results include the most relevant products which might have all four words included. But, I want my gold shiny necklace to show up even if I don't have gold shiny flowers.

Thanks! I don't know Javascript but I have been able to implement scripts when people give them to me.

thanks for your help.

4 answers to this question

Jan,

I saw this other reply you posted. I'm wondering if I am looking for something similar where the search gets separated using cases and assigning each word a field. 

http://forums.caspio.com/index.php/topic/4507-how-to-search-on-two-predefined-criteria/?hl=%2Blogic+%2Bresults#entry14186

I'm surprised the wizard logic screen doesn't have an option to make a field translate into 'word one' "or" 'word two,' when someone types in "one two"

I appreciate any advice or javascript suggestions.

M