Data Usage Clarification

1EarEngineer

Question

Hello,

We are currently on the free plan and am trying to see how we are using so much data. Fri/Sat we used almost 80mb of data, however i had the apps locked down with a password. I was the only person working on things, but was doing so from the caspio website and using the app preview functions. My understanding was that we do NOT use our data limit when working from the Caspio website, only when using the app on our personal site.

Can someone clarify this, or possibly give me some ideas on how to track what is using so much data? I have a submission and a table/chart report. Love the app, but does us no good if we can't use it.

Edit: Also, if i use the URL deployment method, does that then make it so i'm not using data transfer since it's linking directly to the caspio servers? 

Edited by 1EarEngineer

8 answers to this question

Hi,

When you or your users submit or retrieve data it determines your monthly data transfer, even if you do it inside your account. 

You may use developer tools like firebug to approximate data transfer for one load of the datapage.  It is under Net tab and look for Size.

Also I would recommend disabling AJAX feature if you don't need it on your reports.

Different deployment methods affect data transfer in a different way. E.g. URL deployment consumes less data transfer comparing to embed method because of styles which loads from server in embed deployment method.

However Caspio has plans with unlimited data transfer.

Hope this information helps.

On 7/19/2016 at 11:01 AM, Mathilda said:

Hi,

When you or your users submit or retrieve data it determines your monthly data transfer, even if you do it inside your account. 

You may use developer tools like firebug to approximate data transfer for one load of the datapage.  It is under Net tab and look for Size.

Also I would recommend disabling AJAX feature if you don't need it on your reports.

Different deployment methods affect data transfer in a different way. E.g. URL deployment consumes less data transfer comparing to embed method because of styles which loads from server in embed deployment method.

However Caspio has plans with unlimited data transfer.

Hope this information helps.

So even if we are on the Caspio website in the Admin portal, it still consumes our data transfer? That seems pretty messed up. If it's not leaving the caspio infrastructure, why does it consume our data allotment?

There are  actions that doesn't affect data transfer, like manual uploading or creating datapages. So when you create a datapage or table or any other object in your account it doesn't consume datatransfer, however when you submit data using submission form or when you retrieve data by opening a report datapage it consumes data transfer.

You may read more information at:

http://blog.caspio.com/caspio-news/update-on-caspios-data-transfer-policy

On 7/19/2016 at 8:01 PM, Mathilda said:
On 12/22/2018 at 8:08 AM, NailDyanC said:

Hi,

Just want to add to the previous comment above, I have noticed that this post is similar to this forum post: 

You can check that also for more details about Data transfer.

Thanks.

Backup storage size  Non - compressed  Compressed  De-dupl.   Compressed + De-dupl.
Full (GB): 500 250 500 250
Incremental (GB): 25 12.50 25 12.50
Weekly (GB): 650 325 650 325
Monthly (GB): 2300 1150 2300 1150
Total (GB): 7800 3900 7800  3900
Cost per month: 97.50 48.75 97.50 48.75
Cost per year: 1170 585 1170 585

Hi,

Just to add to my previous comment above,  In most Caspio plans, data transfer is the primary metric to measure platform usage. Since all plans provide free unlimited users for applications, data transfer is a relatively straight-forward method for this purpose.

To reduce constraints during the development and day-to-day data management of your applications, Caspio is changing the way they calculate account data transfer.

Effective November 1, 2015, any data transfer incurred by account users within Caspio Bridge accounts is free and therefore no longer calculated toward your monthly data transfer. This change is automatic and you are not required to do anything.

Here are examples of account data transfer that are now effectively unlimited:

All interactive importing and exporting of data and apps. This includes all user-initiated import/export, but does not include DataHub activities.
All uploading and downloading files within the account.
All development activities such as creating and editing DataPages and other objects within the account.

This policy change applies to all plans. We hope that this change will encourage you to explore the platform more freely and apply Caspio-powered applications to more business activities.

For more details you can refer to this link: https://blog.caspio.com/update-on-caspios-data-transfer-policy/?_ga=2.17722617.1188761798.1546486140-537387838.1546486140

Thanks.  :)