Create a submission counter

I have a datapage submission form which I need to make a counter based on an external parameter.

Virtual2 receives an external parameter (authorization field) on loading. This works fine.

Goods is a hidden field in the datapage. An updated value should be saved in this field on submission.

The script goes like below, but it doesn’t work. Actually I cant get goods to receive and store any value.

Please advise on solutions. 

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

Function calculate()

{

var number = parsefloat(document.getElementsByName('cbParamVirtual2')[0].value);

var newnumber = number + 1;

document.getElementById('InsertRecordgoods').value = newnumber;

}

document.getElementById("caspioform").onsubmit= calculate;

</SCRIPT>

Hi Rasmus,

Please set the "goods" field as a text field form element. Java script can't insert value into the hidden field. You may hide the goods field using the display:none attribute: http://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/common-customizations/how-to-hide-fields-in-datapages/

I've edited your code a little bit:

function calculate()

{

var number = parseFloat(document.getElementById("cbParamVirtual2").value);

var newnumber = number +1;

}

</SCRIPT>

Hope it helps :)

17 hours ago, Mathilda said:

Hi Mathilda

It works. Cheers.

One additional question. Is it possible to update and store the value in an 'authorization field' instead of the datafield 'goods'. The datapage can retrieve parameter values of authorization fields as users are logged in.

/ Rasmus

17 hours ago, Mathilda said:

Hi Rasmus,

Please set the "goods" field as a text field form element. Java script can't insert value into the hidden field. You may hide the goods field using the display:none attribute: http://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/common-customizations/how-to-hide-fields-in-datapages/

I've edited your code a little bit:

function calculate()

{

var number = parseFloat(document.getElementById("cbParamVirtual2").value);

var newnumber = number +1;

}

</SCRIPT>

Hope it helps :)

Hi Rasmus, I' m glad that it works for you :)

It's possible to increment value in the authentication field. You may use the following workflow:

* remove the script from the submission form;

* create a single-record update form, include one field (where you store value for increment), make field to be a text field form element, add an html block and insert the following script in the html block:

if(document.getElementById("caspioform")) {
  document.getElementById("caspioform").style.display = 'none';
}

function calculate()

{

var number = parseFloat(document.getElementById("EditRecordFieldname").value);

var newnumber = number+1;

document.getElementById('EditRecordFieldname').value = newnumber;

}
  setTimeout('document.forms["caspioform"].submit(calculate())',1000); 

</SCRIPT>

Please insert your name of the field instead of Fieldname

* select "Go to the new page" and paste URL of the update form on the  Destination and Emails screen of the wizard of the submission form.

As a result, you enter data in the submission form, after submission you will be redirected to the auto-submission update form, and value in the authentication field will be incremented. Please note, you will not see submission of the second form, it will be hidden.

Please feel free to ask if something is unclear.

On 8/9/2016 at 11:13 AM, Mathilda said:

Hi Rasmus, I' m glad that it works for you :)

It's possible to increment value in the authentication field. You may use the following workflow:

* remove the script from the submission form;

* create a single-record update form, include one field (where you store value for increment), make field to be a text field form element, add an html block and insert the following script in the html block:

if(document.getElementById("caspioform")) {
  document.getElementById("caspioform").style.display = 'none';
}

function calculate()

{

var number = parseFloat(document.getElementById("EditRecordFieldname").value);

var newnumber = number+1;

document.getElementById('EditRecordFieldname').value = newnumber;

}
  setTimeout('document.forms["caspioform"].submit(calculate())',1000); 

</SCRIPT>

Please insert your name of the field instead of Fieldname

* select "Go to the new page" and paste URL of the update form on the  Destination and Emails screen of the wizard of the submission form.

As a result, you enter data in the submission form, after submission you will be redirected to the auto-submission update form, and value in the authentication field will be incremented. Please note, you will not see submission of the second form, it will be hidden.

Please feel free to ask if something is unclear.

Excellent, that worked too. However, maybe I should have explained what I try to solve, which is still outta reach. 

I have external users, and need to limit the number of active datarow(s) they can create. So I thought of using a counter with the authorization fields and then to limit what can be seen when the count exceeds a limit. But, seems not so easy... But maybe you have another suggestion ?

5 minutes ago, Rasmus said:

Excellent, that worked too. However, maybe I should have explained what I try to solve, which is still outta reach. 

I have external users, and need to limit the number of active datarow(s) they can create. So I thought of using a counter with the authorization fields and then to limit what can be seen when the count exceeds a limit. But, seems not so easy... But maybe you have another suggestion ?

Hi Rasmus,

you may try using the following solution: 

http://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/advanced-customizations/how-to-limit-the-number-of-submissions/

It seems this is what you are looking for.