Triggers to populate more than one record

888Washington

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to populate multiple records, based on a single record selection and submittal.  I have 3 data pages involved in this process.  I'll change some of the naming-convention from my industry-specific jargon to make a bit more sense:

Data Page 1:  Team Name, Employee, Title

• In the first data page the user organizes their employee's into different Teams.  Each team is given a name and there are usually 4 to 5 employee's on each team who each have their own title.  For example, Team 1 may have:
  • > Billy - Team Lead
  • > Bobby - Organizer
  • > Jane - Recruiter
  • > Jim - Record Keeper

Data Page 2:  Project Name, Team Name, Hours Worked

• On the second Data Page, the user is asked to enter their project name, and the select a team name from the dropdown menu.  The team name dropdown menu is a cascading dropdown field that pulls the list of team names established from the first data page.  In this Project, the only available team to select is Team 1 with Billy, Bobby, Jane, and Jim.  After the user makes this selection, they enter the # of hours worked for the team.  For this Project, we will say each team member worked 2 hours.  So the user would enter "2" into the hours worked field and hit submit.

Data Page 3:  Employee, Assignment, Hours Worked

• After clicking submit on DataPage 2, I'd like the 3rd DataPage to populate the team member names from the team name selected and insert 2 hours for each employee.  The user can then preview and confirm this information before exiting the DataPage.  If one of the employee's only had 1 hour on the project, they would then be able to edit one of the team members hours to reflect this.

So far, I have created a trigger, where the user can enter the project name, and number of hours, which will then populate the 3rd data page, but I haven't quite figured out how to lookup and insert records for each employee under the team name selected.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  This is my first forum posting, so please advise if I should attach more detail or modify my question in any way.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

Hi 888Washington,

You can lookup for reference record in another table by creating a Join with #inserted.

It is difficult to offer you a precise solution without table structure or a screenshot of your existing Trigger. 

By the way, I have recently signed up for the Webinar: Introduction to Triggered Actions.

Perhaps you will be able to find an answer or some insights there. You can sign-up via following links:

Wed, Oct 25, 2017 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM EEST

Wed, Oct 25, 2017 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM EEST

Thu, Oct 26, 2017 3:00 AM - 4:00 AM EEST

Hope this helps.

1.JPG