How to hide more than one section in conditional form and then redirect based on selection?

timothyjl

Question

Newbie question - I'm trying to hide text for 2 separate options in a drop down list.

This is the scenario:

- the user is asked a question about whether they think they need a service There is a dropdown list with 3 entries, the first just being 'Select' and second and third "yes" and "no" respectively.

I want nothing appearing below until they select either "yes" or "no".

If they select "yes", they see a message to update their username and password along with the required fields to update, and when they then submit, they are redirected to a new page where they can order the service. I put this in a Section 2.

if they select "no", they see a message to confirm the selection and that the current account will be deactivated with an "I Agree" checkbox, and when they submit, the Active User field in their record will be marked inactive, and they will redirected back to the login page (where they can no longer login with the details previously provided). I put this in a Section 3

I believe I should be able to achieve this with a single data page. But the first challenge is setting up the conditional form so that the options for "yes" and "no" are only visible when either is selected and not before. I tried setting up a Rule that hides Section 2 and Section 3 when the field is blank. That works fine.

But If I then try to create a Rule so that Section 3 is hidden if the field is "Yes", Caspio wont let me. Section 3 is not available as an option (I assume because the first Rule used it already?). So how do I achieve this functionality??

The next question is how to update the Active User field on form submission after the user has responded "no" to the initial field?

Final question is how to to redirect to the correct page - does this require the use of Virtual Fields?

3 answers to this question

Hi timothyjl,

The possible solution here is to use both Fields and Sections to set up rules, this way you can refer to them twice.

For example, you have Section 2 with Field 2 and Field 3 included there and you have Section 3 with Field 4 and Field 5, so you can set up the following rules:

1) rule 1: criteria: if select field isBlank - value: Hide Field 2, Field 3, Field 4, Field 5

2) rule 2: criteria: if  select field Yes - value: Hide Section 3

3) rule 3: criteria: if  select field No - value: Hide Section 2 and also here you can add criteria for Active field (checked) and make it disabled

you may also check this tutorial video to learn more about Conditional Rules

As for redirect after form submission, yes, you may use the following solution: Dynamic Redirects After Form Submission

Hope it helps.

23 hours ago, vikovs said:

Hi timothyjl,

The possible solution here is to use both Fields and Sections to set up rules, this way you can refer to them twice.

For example, you have Section 2 with Field 2 and Field 3 included there and you have Section 3 with Field 4 and Field 5, so you can set up the following rules:

1) rule 1: criteria: if select field isBlank - value: Hide Field 2, Field 3, Field 4, Field 5

2) rule 2: criteria: if  select field Yes - value: Hide Section 3

3) rule 3: criteria: if  select field No - value: Hide Section 2 and also here you can add criteria for Active field (checked) and make it disabled

you may also check this tutorial video to learn more about Conditional Rules

As for redirect after form submission, yes, you may use the following solution: Dynamic Redirects After Form Submission

Hope it helps.

Hi vikovs,

I tried this and it helps, thanks. I could sort of achieve what I was trying to.

However, the Caspio system seems to have some severe problems.

After setting up along the lines you suggested, I deployed to my browser and it worked. But then I needed to go back to make an edit. When I went to make the edit, one of my Rules was no longer there. It vanished into thin air.

So I deleted all the Rules, logged out, logged in. Did the same thing again. Deployed and tried in my browser. Again it worked. I then went back to make more changes. Once again a Rule had disappeared.

It's hard to imagine a system that's been around for a while could be this flakey. I mean, this is fundamental.

I went back and repeated the process and took screen shots. Appending them here. The screenshots are timestamped - you can see when I go back at 9.44 to edit, Rule 3 has VANISHED. I didn't change anything at that stage - simply went back to the Rule page so I could edit, only to find my Rule GONE!!!

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 9.44.05 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 9.36.32 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 9.36.26 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 9.31.42 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 9.16.50 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 9.16.33 pm.png