Scheduled Import via Google Drive can't access native google doc or speadsheet?

geoffdude

Question

I'm trying to use a "Scheduled Task" to manage weekly updates connecting to Google Drive, the big problem is while you can access and connect to GD it doesn't seem you can access a native Spreadsheet or Doc.. as they don't have traditional file type designations associated to them. Only imported files can be used, and those you can't update on GD .. you need to overwrite the file with new uploads and new data done outside the GD platform.

Lets say you wanted to update the existing imported excel file (.xlsx) on GD 3 times in one day .. the original excel file, with the .xlsx designation, NEVER actually updates, the changes you make instead generate new cloned, time-dated, native spread sheets .. you'll end up with 3 versions of these native spread sheet but your initial .xlsx file was not updated. (unless you upload a new version). And, since you need to import and manually overwrite that .xlsx file each time you want new data imported into Caspio it really makes the scheduled task anything but scheduled .. there's still a lot of manual work required. Might as well do a manual update thru Caspio Import.

Why have the Schedule Task for GD but not facilitate a way to access specific native GD files?

Anyone have a solution for this?

Thx

sample1.jpg

sample2.jpg

5 answers to this question

Thx - I'm looking towards this as a temp solution already.

But, the basic functionality of connecting to Google Drive for scheduled imports doesn't work currently .. and Caspio should look at making updates to their set-up process to allow direct connections to native Google Drive docs... or else remove the option from the Schedule Task dropdown list. (I prefer a fix though).

Best

Geoffdude,

The Scheduled Import is just placing the designated file into the chosen repository. It does not have any functionality to append, update, or otherwise manipulate data in the existing files at that repository. If you are looking for that type of functionality, you will need to build an API integration. It is essentially just a data export to a file storage location.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:06 PM, GoCubbies said:

Geoffdude,

The Scheduled Import is just placing the designated file into the chosen repository. It does not have any functionality to append, update, or otherwise manipulate data in the existing files at that repository. If you are looking for that type of functionality, you will need to build an API integration. It is essentially just a data export to a file storage location. 

That's the reverse of what I'm trying to do actually .. I have a file in my GD repository that's a native GD spreadsheet, that I want to import it's data INTO a caspio table .. but CASPIO scheduled import can't specifically target that file/doc as it's a Google file type of "sheet". - My wish, desire, was/is that CASPIO could sort this out and provide for that functionality (like Zapier does) for direct connection to any GD file.

It appears that Caspio just pushes another file to Google Drive every call to the Scheduled Task; since trying to re-upload existing files/documents in Google Drive (via drag and drop) does revisions on the file name instead of overwriting it.

Caspio does not modify the existing data maybe because they do not have the feature/functionality available in their codebase yet. In addition, I am also uncertain if Google allows third-party apps to overwrite or delete existing user files.