Via Scheduled Task Import - Possible To Append New Data Only?

geoffdude

Question

Is there a way to have  only new data append to existing caspio data table during a scheduled import from a managed Excel file off Google Drive?

Right now I keep getting duplicate records for each import.

To be clear, we don't want to delete/overwrite the excel file and data that lives on Google Drive .. we want to add data/rows to it.. then have only those new rows of data imported into the mirrored Caspio table via scheduled task import.

I'd also like to not do a full rewrite/upload of the data file that's on Caspio too.

Thx

5 answers to this question

Hi @geoffdude,

Yes it is possible, you just have to set the 'Action' to your table to 'Append'  (http://prntscr.com/m4kum8 ) so that it will adds the new data to your existing table. Any fields that don’t exist in the current table design will be added.  And your excel file in your Google Drive will not be affected in this Import process, for more details about this kindly check the link below

https://howto.caspio.com/tables-and-views/importing-data/

I hope this helps

Regards,

TsiBiRu

Thx - But not sure that's what I'm looking for.

Note: this is for a scheduled task. Not a manual import.

If I have an Exel file on Google Drive that I do not want to overwrite, just update for ongoing changes, how do I keep all previous data from importing into my Caspio table? I only want the new data that's just been added to the GD Excel file to append to the Caspio table.

So, if the GD excel table has an existing 100 rows, and I add 15 new rows of data, my GD excel file now has 115 rows.  But .. my Caspio table for the import already has the previous 100 rows from a past import. If the new import happens tonight I'll get all 115 rows of data from my GD excel file uploaded into my caspio table, giving me 215 rows of data, 100 of which are now duplicates, because I just added/appended the 115 current GD excel file's rows of data to the existing Caspio data table... which I don't want to do.

I need to have just the new 15 rows of data from the GD excel sheet append on the Caspio table not the full 115 rows of data.

Basically trying to sync/link up the two tables of data.

Hi @geoffdude ,

You can use "Update" action which will update the data of an existing table with the imported data and add new records which do not exist in your Caspio Table.

The import will add to your Caspio table only 15 records and update 100 of existing records if you made any changes in them. 

You should have a correspondent unique field in Caspio Table and Excel spreadsheet in order to perform this type of import "Action". 

Also, currently Caspio Datahub cannot import data from google spreadsheet and you need to have an Excel copy of your spreadsheet in Google drive account to perform the Datahub import as far as I know. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

vitalikssssss

Geoffdude,

You can create a formula field in your table, and concatenate all of your fields, then set the formula field as unique. That way when your scheduled import append runs, it will reject the duplicates and only bring in the new records. This only works if all of your fields are not expected to repeat in same value when you concatenate them. I have set this up on several of my tables as a method of preventing duplicates. It is also a great method to restrict user input of repeat same records.