Report COUNT and total number of times a text checkbox chosen

roattw

Question

A while back I had a simple request to COUNT and total the number of times a checkbox item was selected.  For example, for every encounter our people make a visit entry with the question:

Visit type:

A.   Phone

B.    In person

C.   Remote

So each employee over 100 entries would have say  30 Phone, 60 in person, 10 remote.  Counting and totaling  the number of  text answer selections seems unusally cumbersome (at least compared to other apps like Knack).  But its even hard to count them across and for all employees.  For example total number of Phone visits all employees.  I can never get it to work in the formula, using regular expressions or SQL.

In Knack its a simple option, here its so programmatic and feel like there has to be an easier way.  Im kinda new though.

5 answers to this question

Hi @roattw,

It is not necessary to use SQL to count a number of times a checkbox was checked.

It is hard to imagine how your table design looks like, so I can provide you with general tips.

You can check the Total & Aggregation field available in Tabular report to create desired output:

https://howto.caspio.com/datapages/reports/advanced-reporting/totals-and-aggregations/

You may also consider using Pivot table in order to get an aggregated count:

https://howto.caspio.com/datapages/reports/pivot-table/

One of the reasons why I chosen Caspio over the Knack is the ability to store an unlimited number of records in the table, and easier customization of styles. 

You can post on Caspio Idea Box if you have some ideas on how to make Caspio better from a user perspective. 

Hope this helps.

P.S. share an example of your table if you need more detailed guideline with aggregate expression.  

Regards,

vitalikssss

Thanks for the reply, esp. without much info.  A more detailed description of what I meant:

Over a period of time user makes form entries where a specific category of three choices is made for each entry.  Im hoping to get the subtotal of each drop down selection made and the total overall over a time period.  Its the subtotals Im stuck on.  For example, over 6 month period of entries:

Type of training session done form:

2 Fields:  Date, Dropbox with 4 choices

Drop box choices are:  EMS, Cardiology, Trauma, Stroke

Over 6 months Bob makes entry for 12 sessions: 3 EMS, 4 Cardiology, 2 Trauma, 3 Stroke

Would like report to show for each user:

Bob Smith

EMS       Date
EMS       Date
EMS       Date

Total  EMS       3

Cardiology       Date
Cardiology       Date
Cardiology       Date
Cardiology       Date

Total  Cardiology       4

Trauma       Date