Data Restriction

NiceDuck

Question

Hello,

I just want to share this with you.

Yesterday, I did have a submission form that has a special text field whose value is equal to a a bit complicated  concatenation of two other fields .  Since Triggered action is my personal favorite feature, I used a triggered action to do this concatenation, and the datapage is working as expected. Later on, one of co-user thought that it is wasteful to use triggered action for only this operation. Therefore,  he went to the table design and change the data type of this special field to "Formula field".

After composing the right formula, he went on his merry way without checking the datapage.

Later on, one of the users noticed that they are no longer able to send any data with the submission form because any attempts are ending up with a "Data Restriction" error.

After few hours of troubleshooting and some squawking around.  We figured out that the reason of the issue is that the triggered action is not updated nor disbaled. 

What actually happen is, the triggered action is trying to change the value of the the special field. However, since formula fields can create their own value unlike its former data type which is just a text255.

Now, since the trigger is failing to run, the datapage is having the error  which down the page for about an hour.

The lesson is,  make sure that if you check if there are triggered action or task connected to field before modifying its data type as it seems that the trigger action is not being updated when you modify the field type.

I hope this helps
quack

2 answers to this question

On 2/3/2020 at 4:08 AM, NiceDuck said:

Hello,

I just want to share this with you.

Yesterday, I did have a submission form that has a special text field whose value is equal to a a bit complicated  concatenation of two other fields .  Since Triggered action is my personal favorite feature, I used a triggered action to do this concatenation, and the datapage is working as expected. Later on, one of co-user thought that it is wasteful to use triggered action for only this operation. Therefore,  he went to the table design and change the data type of this special field to "Formula field".

After composing the right formula, he went on his merry way without checking the datapage.

Later on, one of the users noticed that they are no longer able to send any data with the submission form because any attempts are ending up with a "Data Restriction" error.

After few hours of troubleshooting and some squawking around.  We figured out that the reason of the issue is that the triggered action is not updated nor disbaled. 

What actually happen is, the triggered action is trying to change the value of the the special field. However, since formula fields can create their own value unlike its former data type which is just a text255.

Now, since the trigger is failing to run, the datapage is having the error  which down the page for about an hour.

The lesson is,  make sure that if you check if there are triggered action or task connected to field before modifying its data type as it seems that the trigger action is not being updated when you modify the field type.

I hope this helps
quack

good content