Accessing value of Calculated Field within javascript

BillW

Question

Hi,

I have an application where I wish to set the background color of a field to red when a measured value is found to be greater than an allowed tolerance.  The allowed tolerance is extracted from a lookup table using a calculated field.  This calculated value is calculated before the measurement is entered.  For example, in the Submission datapage shown below a Job No is first selected, then a Motor RPM value is obtained from one lookup table and the Tolerance = 0.003 is obtained as a calculated value from another lookup table.  The User then enters a value for Fan.  This all works fine; however, the code that reads the calculated value for Tolerance does not.  See below......

image.png.f326fc984ee5fc34f3c3283fa63fc93e.png

The calculated field is shown below. 

image.png.426b13f30e5ce49aed0915e5f9058882.png

HTML block 3 is used to set the background color when Fan > Tolerance.  The HTML block is positioned following the fields shown above.  The field labeled Fan is ODE_Fan_TIR.  The field labeled Tolerance is ODE_Labyrinth_Tol.  Since Fan > Tolerance the background color of the Fan field should be red.  

In the script shown below, a console error indicates that the calculated field value (Tol) is null.  The error occurs in the following line of code " let tol = document.getElementById("InsertRecordODE_Labyrinth_Tol").value;"

How does one obtain and use a calculated value in an IF statement before the Submit button is pressed?

image.png.7222d55dd705f43010c474735962cc7e.png

10 answers to this question

Hi @BillW,

There is a small error in this part of your code.

image.png

There is no "value" attribute available for element Calculated value because value is rendered within a <span> tags.

You would need to use "InnerHTML" property to get the text value of Calculated field.

So, above line of code should look like this:

let fan = document.getElementById("InsertRecordODE_Fan_TIR").innerHTML;

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vitalikssssss

Hi Vitalikssssss,

The field with ID "ODE_Labyrinth_Tol" is the calculated field.  Did you mean to say that this code:   let tol = document.getElementById("InsertRecordODE_Labyrinth_Tol").value;

should be rewritten as   let tol = document.getElementById("InsertRecordODE_Labyrinth_Tol").innerHTML;? 

Regardless, I still receive the same console error message stating cannot read null.  Please see below

image.png.c021bbfd922c8f3abbcbab13a8dab815.png   

Hello @BillW,

Please try the following code to get the value of the ODE_Labyrinth_Tol field:

let tol = document.querySelector('div input[id^="InsertRecordODE_Labyrinth_Tol"]').value;

Also, the "style. backgroundColor" property may be overridden with the basic CSS styles on the DataPage.

If so, you may try to apply the color to the background property:

document.getElementById("InsertRecordODE_Fan_TIR").style.background = 'red';

Feel free to write back if you have questions.

Hi CoopperBackpack,

Thank you for the quick response.  Your solution for accessing the value for ODE_labyrinth_Tol is "spot on".

However, neither of our solutions for changing background color works.  I tried ".backgroundColor" and ".background".  This is confusing as I've done what I thought was exactly the same thing to change background color of a numeric field in another submission form. 

The only difference I can discern is that ODE_Fan_TIR is the 'change' listened for in the addEventListener statement.

Updated Code:

I inserted an alert within the IF statement to make sure the subtraction was performed properly, then entered a value of fan = 0.004 with tolerance = 0.002.  The alert was activated properly; however, I receive no console error nor did the background color change to 'red'.

The updated code is shown below:

image.png.b8449bdfca9845928882a401e49c6660.png

Hi Again,

FYI,

I've also tried setting an anchor and using this to set the background color.  By using the three combinations below and the one shown in the current code, I can dance all around the field, and change background color, but cannot figure out how to change the background color of the field itself.

isi.parentNode.parentNode.

isi.parentNode.nextSibling.

isi.parentNode.previousSibling.

image.png.5c2d29bef2e1e5f03b5e3a94ed8403ff.png

Hi again,

I apologize for not getting back to you.  I was working on another portion of coding and forgot all about this issue.  

The DP datapage URL: https://c0dci914.caspio.com/dp/98d580004b58a064986e45ef852b

Authentication: none

Login Support: enabled for one week starting 8/21/2020, 7:30AM EST

Dependencies: 

1) Select 'R49' from the Job No dropdown

2) enter '0.004' into the Fan field

Thank you,

Bill