Number of Fields Dependent On Value

I apologize for the bad title - not too sure what to name this one. 

I have one dropdown field "Number of Employees:" where the user can select the numbers 1-8. 

I have 8 other text fields: Employee1, Employee2, Employee3...Employee8.

I am trying to figure out a way to show the same number of Employee fields as the value of Number Of Employees. 

In Example, if the user set the Number Of Employees dropdown to 1, I would want 1 of the Employee text fields to show, and the other 7 to be hidden. If they selected 4, I would only want 4 to show and the other 4 to be hidden. If 8 was chosen, all 8 are shown. 

I've been trying to tinker with standard features such as Rules but I don't think I can get it going. Any help is appreciated!

Hello @kpcollier,

If I got your inquiry correctly then you need to have a dynamic dropdown based on another dropdown. 

This requires a rather bulky JS solution as I understand. 

Did you consider using a Cascading dropdown on the DataPage? 

You just need to have a well-structured lookup table (please refer to this example on the screenshot)

j4d5Rph.png

So, the first field is dropdown and the second one is the Cascading dropdown (https://howto.caspio.com/datapages/datapage-components/cascading-elements/)

nxk6YXk.png

Is this solution right for you?

On 1/8/2021 at 3:17 PM, kpcollier said:

I apologize for the bad title - not too sure what to name this one. 

I have one dropdown field "Number of Employees:" where the user can select the numbers 1-8. 

I have 8 other text fields: Employee1, Employee2, Employee3...Employee8.

I am trying to figure out a way to show the same number of Employee fields as the value of Number Of Employees. 

In Example, if the user set the Number Of Employees dropdown to 1, I would want 1 of the Employee text fields to show, and the other 7 to be hidden. If they selected 4, I would only want 4 to show and the other 4 to be hidden. If 8 was chosen, all 8 are shown. 

I've been trying to tinker with standard features such as Rules but I don't think I can get it going. Any help is appreciated!

I did this one last year :D https://c1abz415.caspio.com/dp/8c4b6000a85530fe3c4c4440a562

If this is what you wanted to achieve, then yes, this can be done by rules. You may have a lot of Rules Actions but the key is to do a reverse and instead do them from the criteria. Here's how I did it:

1. Pulled up the n number of fields. Make sure that there is a selector, in this case a virtual field that were divided from the rest of the fields via section. 

image.thumb.png.dea27ebbd4446d9642c53a9288fb629a.png

2. From the Rules tab, create a rule. Remember that the number of rules will depend on the number of fields that will be dynamically hiddenimage.png.5e28a9bafbdf1a530240d0eaa9403b42.png

3. Set each of the rule's criteria by setting the value selected to every number. From the example below, If virtual value is matches from numbers 1-5, the logic's action is to hide the 6th field. Repeat until the last rule. 

image.png.84355c81c33dde19b558a50ae7f9eca2.png  image.png.9034f6badc51ccbbc910b2e33cb277ff.png

image.png.3c20e8d88298ddccfa70c2634a52f568.png

I hope this helps. @kpcollier

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case somebody prefers JS over rules, you can try the following code too. You need to add Header&Footer for your DataPage Elements and paste this to the Footer (with HTML Editor disabled on the Advanced tab).
This code will also hide all of the 8 fields until something is selected from the dropdown. If you want them all to be initially shown, just remove the 2 lines that say "//hide all fields on page load''.

<script type="text/javascript">
function hide(fields){
   fields.forEach(el => el.style.cssText = "display: none;");
}
document.addEventListener('DataPageReady', function (event) {
   var employeeFields = Array.from(document.querySelectorAll('[id^="InsertRecordEmployee"]'));
   var employeeLabels = Array.from(document.querySelectorAll('label[for^="InsertRecordEmployee"]'));
   hide(employeeFields); //hide all fields on page load
   hide(employeeLabels); //hide all fields on page load
   document.getElementById("cbParamVirtual1").onchange= function(){
      hide(employeeFields);
      hide(employeeLabels);
      var num = document.getElementById("cbParamVirtual1").value;
      for (let i = 0; i < num; i++){
         employeeFields[i].style.cssText = "display: inline-block;";
         employeeLabels[i].style.cssText = "display: inline-block;";
      }
  }
  });
</script>

Note:

('[id^="InsertRecordEmployee"]'))
('label[for^="InsertRecordEmployee"]'))

Here, "Employee" is the beginning of the database field names (like Employee1, Employee2 etc) so it should match your table design.