Adding a table of wording to a Details Data Page

JKSGT

Question

Hi,

I am building a dynamic document that comprises of  first page one followed by several pages of wording and a last page.

The first page and last page get data from multiple fields in Table A.  The wording pages get data from a multiple records in Table B, but only from a single field (ie. each record in the wording table represents a paragraph that is marked up in html for formatting). 

Ultimately I want my users to be able to download the complete document as a single PDF. I found the Details Data Page works well for to PDF the first and last page as I can add some calculated values and set page breaks where I want to be using the PDF option. I also found that a table data page works well for the wording as I can query the wording table and display all the paragraphs as a table. However I’m struggling to combine the two that results in a usable PDF.

I tried using two data pages (Details and Table) with an iframe to embed the wording from the Table within the Details Data Page. This worked to a point but I struggled to dynamically size the iframe when the wording went over a page but more crucially the iframe split some of the sentences in half when I created the PDF as it treated the iframe content like an image rather than lines of text. So I stopped this approach.

I found when I added all the paragraphs manually to a Text(64000) field I can get the wording to display correctly. 

So my question is - does anyone know if it’s possible to combine the contents of the same field from multiple records in the same table into a single Text(64000) field? Either using a triggered action or a virtual field?

I think if I can do this then I can probably create PDF documents that include my fields plus the table content.

Many thanks for your thoughts

Jay

3 answers to this question

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I got distracted by another problem... Going back to this one, I did try a virtual field approach using the SELECT statement below:

SELECT Wording FROM tab_Wording WHERE Record_ID = target.[@field:Responses_Record_ID]

However Caspio only returns the first record in the Wording table not all matching records. 

Secondly where my wording contains html markup tags such as paragraphs </p> or line items </li> I get double line spacing for some reason. This does not happen when I display the content of the fields directly just as a html field.

Which is why I was asking if it’s possible to combine the contents of the same field from multiple records in the same table into a single Text(64000) field? Either using a triggered action or a virtual field and display it on my PDF that way.

Many thanks

Jay

The solution (courtesy of Caspio support):

REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(STUFF((SELECT ' ' + CAST(Wording AS nvarchar(MAX)) FROM tab_Endorsements WHERE Quote_ID=target.[@field:P0002_Responses_Quote_ID] FOR XML PATH ('')), 1, 1, ''),'&lt;', '<'),'&gt;','>'),'&amp;nbsp;',' ')