Override Autonumber?

SeanConrad

Question

I recently took over a database and have found that a few records were incorrectly deleted. I want to reenter these records into the table using the original ID#. However, this datatype is set to autonumber and will not let me enter the previous ID number. There is data in the system tied to this ID but no ID to match to. I could assign a new ID but then I would have to go through and edit 14 years worth of records. What are my options? I want the original ID if possible.

3 answers to this question

What you can try on this one is, try converting the data type of the field from autonumber to integer. From after that, add the new records with your intended ID for them (Make sure that they are still unique). After that, convert the value to autonumber again. 

Try this on the test table first and make sure you have a backup of the tables before you proceed. Just incase that it wont work. 

My apologies, I should have left a note about that. 

Fields that are already in use somewhere like table relationships, formulas, triggers, etc. are usually not editable unless you rid of every object that references them.

For those rare cases that they did get edited, it tends to make a mess on those objects that use them. Not always, but usually.  

As always, make a duplicate or exported copy of the table you are working with as a handy backup.