User part of multiple groups

JenKri

Question

We currently have record level security that is based on a users province & the projects province. So only Users in BC have access to records in BC. (Using a province field in both the authentication table & project table.) However we have a couple users that do work in multiple provinces. Is there a way to apply both eg: BC & MB to a users profile to allow them access with 1 account so that they do not need multiple logins?

My thought was to have a list: string with all the provinces as a field in the authentication table and you can select the ones that apply but this does not appear in my authentications module.

Is this even possible?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Hi @JenKri - what type of DataPages are they accessing? Is it a Report DataPage? If it is a Report DataPage, instead of using Record level security, you can use the filter option to only view and access the DataPage based on their authentication.

For reference: https://howto.caspio.com/parameters/tech-tip-custom-filter-elements/

Adding to @Meekeee's comment, you can based the search results on a predefined criteria and then use a different field in your authentication table for the other province that they are working on. (Ex. Province1field, Province2field...). Then in the predefined criteria,  use the province field in the project table and add a new criteria to that field. receive the authentication fields (province fields) on load, comparison is Equal, and Logic is OR.

Something like this:
image.png.de5686b43cd673ac57f1dce9567d8bb1.png
image.png.0fd8056fe71d4972ccfbd98bdf6cb2a7.png

This way, the table will show either one or both the values received. If the user works for more than 2 provinces, you can add more Criteria to the field and do the same thing.

I use a reverse approach on my case. On my actual records, I have a textfield there that contains the ID of the users that are allowed to see them. then from the datapage level, I take the current user's id and use a 'contains' operator to check if the current user's id is in the compilation of ID for that record.