Preview is fast. Deployed is slow.

JohnM

Question

While developing my DataPage (a Submission Form), clicking Preview loads and renders my form in one or two seconds. :-) When deployed, that same DataPage take seven or eight seconds to load and render. :-( 

Anything I can do to speed up the deployed version?

Any suggestions welcome!

12 answers to this question

I created a stripped down submission form—no headers or footers, no lookups, just 14 textareas or checkboxes—and used Chrome’s Developer Tools to measure performance.

WIth the deployed version, I get load times like these

image.png.1cba7ebe570895b7302c9e45f06887b0.png

image.png.aadb24469ead40d3e0bf5ffb3adaf4c0.png

image.png.b2109620268316493504c0001833f756.png

and a waterfall like this

image.thumb.png.2e506b2f2d8713db2c2cbeb4083cc622.png

With the Preview, I get load times like these

image.png.76a8747138c04f775bd193a3265560c8.png

image.thumb.png.00cee9366edee054ac42550a03b30cec.png

image.thumb.png.57d4660fc379125eb84ebf7a49d4c64a.png

and a waterfall like this

image.thumb.png.e634888fdcbc38e5e636e2ee86e62c59.png

Why does the deployed version take six or more times as long to load? Why is the waterfall so much different?

--

image.png

image.png

image.png

Weird. Can't say I experience that. DataPages might be slow at times but the preview and deployed is pretty much consistent when compared to each other.

Is your account perhaps inside the Sites that they have patched yesterday? That might be a plausible reason. Check here I think its 14 and 11

https://twitter.com/CaspioStatus?s=20&t=TIqiZsjoo60hjzB9lYLcUQ

Here are the things that I check if I experience slowness in my DataPages that is not mentioned above:

• Internet connection: Make sure it was stable.
  • Number of dropdowns with lookups (and other field that uses lookups): Make sure that you don't have lookups with large amount of options and/or most of your fields uses it. 
  • File/Image rendering: Lessen or not use to much of files in your DataPage.
  • Complex calculation: You can use the Table's formula or trigger if needed.
  • Complex CSS or JavaScript: If you can simplify them, the better.
  • Embeded iFrame codes: Do not use/add this inside a Datapage as much as possible. 

I hope this helps. :) 

In addition to @WatashiwaJin's list of things that may affect your DataPage performance, here are my own things that I keep note to ensure that my DataPages are "optimized"

- I limit my dropdown list fields/ cascading field elements/ auto complete to a max of 3. This is just a rough estimation but when you have a lot of choices from lookup table to pull before the actual page to load then it will surely affect your loading time.

- For submission forms, If my user needs to scroll down fully fill-up the form, then it would be best to create a multi step form instead. https://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/common-customizations/how-to-create-a-multi-page-form/

Just a follow-up question to this topic:

I have too large views, one of them with 140 fields, of which perhaps only 40 are needed in the DataPage(s) that use these large views. I wonder if removing unnecessary fields will make a big difference and if it might be worth the effort. If the impact is marginal, I might not prioritize it right now. It is not unlikely that the huge amounts of lookup fields, drop downs, and, above all, formulas are what causes slow downloading/rendering. For every field the user fills, the entire form (or details page) starts re-loading all other fields (there are serial calculations in it). 

Hello @KG360,

As for the Views, when the View is loaded, SQL Server retrieves data from the table(s).

The fewer fields the View has the faster the View is.  So it is highly recommended for better performance only to include the fields you need. 

This should improve the performance though other factors can affect performance as well. 

1 hour ago, CoopperBackpack said:

Hello @KG360,

As for the Views, when the View is loaded, SQL Server retrieves data from the table(s).

The fewer fields the View has the faster the View is.  So it is highly recommended for better performance only to include the fields you need. 

This should improve the performance though other factors can affect performance as well. 

Many thanks, I suspected this could be the case. With this I feel compelled to remove all unused fields from the applicable views. Thanks again!