Include Authentication Values in Calculated Field

Connonymous

Question

I would like to use the ID of the logged in user within a calculated field. The only hang up right now is figuring out if this is possible, and if so how to do it, so the simplest possible solution that accomplishes this would be the goal-- create a calculated field that is always equal to the ID of the logged in user. I tried the simplest possible, just entering [@authfield:Employee_ID] in the calculated field, but I receive an error that says: "Invalid column name '@authfield:Employee_ID'." Is it possible to accomplish this?

In case this is helpful in resolving the issue, my ID is a formula field, the datapage is a Combined Chart and Report.

3 answers to this question

Hello @Connonymous,

It is possible to use auth parameters in Calculated field/Calculated Value. 
Just wrap the field in single quotes: '[@authfield:Employee_ID]'
Single quotes are not needed  if you add the field that has Number, Integer, Autonumber data type.

But if the data type is text single quotes are required. Most of the auth fields like Email, First_Name, Address, Role, etc. are usually text values.

Formula field that concatenate several values has text data type too.

Hope this helps. 

4 hours ago, CoopperBackpack said:

Hello @Connonymous,

It is possible to use auth parameters in Calculated field/Calculated Value. 
Just wrap the field in single quotes: '[@authfield:Employee_ID]'
Single quotes are not needed  if you add the field that has Number, Integer, Autonumber data type.

But if the data type is text single quotes are required. Most of the auth fields like Email, First_Name, Address, Role, etc. are usually text values.

Formula field that concatenate several values has text data type too.

Hope this helps. 

Thank you, this is very helpful! Just tried it and it works just as you described. I really appreciate the help!

Authentication and calculated fields are treated as parameters, personally regardless of the datatype, I always encapsulate them to single quotes and unless they are meant to be used as strings, I will just convert them into what data type they are supposed to be. 

Saves me a lot of trouble from calculation or formula errors.