Question for Building a Quoting/Estimate page

phallofcnj

Question

Does anyone have suggested tutorials for building a Quoting/Estimate page? In my case, the quote page will be for a printing company. The customer should be able to select the type of printing like Business Card. Then select paper type and quantity. After they get finished making the different selections then the price appears. Perhaps they could then place the order.

3 answers to this question

I am seeking to do a similar thing for my client. So I have created a table containing product IDs, product names and formulas - called product_formulas. Next I created a table for use with an single record input form to record customer quotes.

At this form, the user selects the product they want from the drop-down list and enters the surface area they wish to cover with that product. I then want the value they entered to be run through the formula for that product so that the form calculates the volume of product (no. 1kg tins) required and displays it. Optionally, I then want the customer to be able to enter their name and email and have this figure emailed to them (as well as to the sales team for follow up).

The problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how to run a lookup query to populate the hidden formula field with the formula from the product_formulas table. Any help would be much appreciated...

Does anyone have suggested tutorials for building a Quoting/Estimate page? In my case, the quote page will be for a printing company. The customer should be able to select the type of printing like Business Card. Then select paper type and quantity. After they get finished making the different selections then the price appears. Perhaps they could then place the order.

I may propose you the following solution, but you need some java script here:

Create table type_of_printing with two fields: type_name and price (number data type), type_name may contain price as well (like Business Card (0.5$)) and second table paper_type with two fields: paper_type and price (number data type). And table for order information, include all fields you need and type_price, paper_price, quantity, total_price. Create submission form, based on the order table. Use dropdown form element for type_price and paper_price, use tables you created as lookup source, field for display - type_name (paper_type), for value - price, use default value 1 for quantity. Add the following script to the header with function for price calculating:

function calcsum()

{

var total = (parseFloat( document.getElementById("InsertRecordtype_price").value ) + parseFloat( document.getElementById("InsertRecordpaper_price").value ))*(parseFloat(document.getElementById("InsertRecordquantity").value ));

document.getElementById("InsertRecordtotal_price").value = total;

document.getElementById("InsertRecordtotal_price").readOnly = true;

}

Add HTML block below quantity field with button, that allows to calculate total price: . You may set options: continue next element on the same line and do not display label for total_price field.

Add follwing script to the footer, that will calculate price by submit button:

document.getElementById("caspioform").onsubmit = calcsum;

And you may change you submit button name to "Place order" or whatever you need in localizations.