How to record zero results?

acraigl

Question

I have a knowledge base application. I would like proactively improve this by recording in a database if the search returned zero results. I'm already saving the time/date and search string... how can I add whether results were returned to the user or not?

2 answers to this question

To archive it you separated your search and report DataPage into two different pages - submission for search and predefined criteria for report. You have to create a separate table for first DataPage, it will collect information about all searches - search data, search time and Yes/No field, that will be yes if no records found, etc, you need add autonumber to this table as well. Then you may customize your No Records found message - add JS to it:

location.href="?id=[@InsertRecord]";

You may do it in localization wizard.

And you need to create Single Record Update DataPage, based on the table you are using for collecting search information, find record thorough unique id (autonumber from the table and id parameter)

You have to use auto-submit script to submit this form, and you may add Yes/No field from the table, use hidden form element, checked by default.

And finally you may customize Successful submission message to No Records Found.

So, when user found no records, you localized message will redirect you to update form (and will pass unique id parameter), your update form will be updated (and yes/no field will be changed to yes) and a user will see message No Records Found. You may also hide submission button on your update form, so user doesn't see it.

Hope this helps.