How do I make a field conditionally required?

Empowering

Question

I want to make the "Project Phase" (cascading dropdown) field require a value if the "Client" field (from which it cascades) is not blank.   How can I accomplish this?  We have the fields in a lot of data pages, so the logic will need to work in forms, calendar details and reports w bulk edit, grid edit, inline edit.

5 answers to this question

On your datapage wizard, in configure fields, click on the Rules tab. Create a new rule. In the top 'Criteria' portion, click new, select the Client field. Change the operator from "Equal" to "Is Not Blank". Then, on the bottom 'Actions' section, click new, select Project Phase and make it Required. Below is a simple screenshot of the screen section and where the tab is, and how I have set up rules. 

Dacq1y.jpg

2 hours ago, Empowering said:

Is this possible in Grid Edit and Inline Edit?

I'm sure it's possible, just not exactly sure how. I'm not good at JavaScript (I'm trying!) but, I think you would need to select the phase element, put it through an if/then with the client element, and use .setAttribute to make phase required if the condition is met. Just not exactly sure how to put it.