Button to Submit Name

kpcollier

Question

I'm trying to think of a way to eliminate a dropdown and have it just a button. The page I am working on acts as a pool of records that need to be chosen by one of our employees. This field is called "Assigned To"

The original idea was to have a dropdown - and if the user wanted to take that record to work on it, they would edit the record and change the Assigned To dropdown to their name. However, I am trying to make it simpler. If there was just a 'Take Me!' button that once clicked, it recorded the name of who clicked it (everyone has to log in to an account) for the Assigned To field.

Is this possible? My brain is running slow today, and I just can't think of a way to implement it.

1 answer to this question

@kpcollier - Maybe a triggered action?  I do something similar in an Audit Log/Audit Trail Process.  We have a group of Yes No questions on a checklist our billing group uses.  We log any changes to any of the questions on the checklist - including timestamp/user.  I am not a trigger expert - but seems something to this effect would work:

On update of record, if #inserted value of your'Take Me!' button field is Yes and Original value was No, then insert Userstamp into 'Assigned to' field.

Hope this may help a little...

8 hours ago, kgraham2121 said:

@kpcollier - Maybe a triggered action?  I do something similar in an Audit Log/Audit Trail Process.  We have a group of Yes No questions on a checklist our billing group uses.  We log any changes to any of the questions on the checklist - including timestamp/user.  I am not a trigger expert - but seems something to this effect would work:

On update of record, if #inserted value of your'Take Me!' button field is Yes and Original value was No, then insert Userstamp into 'Assigned to' field.

Hope this may help a little...

Hmmmm this sounds like it would work! Thank you!

Hi @kpcollier,

I have seen similar behavior on Caspio Ready Made App called Resource scheduling.

http://apps.caspio.com/demo9/rs/login.html

Login in as a member, perform a simple search and you will see a Tabular Report with "Reserve this Item" button which performs similar logic.

I believe you need the following items in order to create similarly flow within your app:

1. Single record update form with default elements hidden by CSS.

2. Embed this DP in the HTML block of the report by using the Iframe deployment method.

I need to mention that DP performance might decrease if you have a lot of records on Result set (e.g. 250 per page).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vitalikssssss