Conditional field input

Marty

Question

For a submission form, I have a date field that will be the same date field as another in the related table if that date field is prepopulated.  If there is no entry in that field, then the submission form field needs to have the user determine the date.   How to accomplish this.  I am finding that if it is a calculated field, then there can be no input.   I can pass the other date parameter to this field (and then nothing is passed in those other cases), but it is still an input field and allows the user to override the passed date in the prepopulated instance - which I don't want.   

Any suggestion?

2 answers to this question

Im not sure if I understand your workflow perfectly but as I understand, You do have a date field. this datefield is sometimes pre-populated and sometimes not. If this is pre- populated, the user shall not be able to edit those. However, if it is not pre-populated, then the user should be able to set a value.

If this is the case, I think it can be done by using the rules feature and a virtual field.

You are going to make the virtual field and the date field load the pre-defined value you wanted. Then, envelope the virtual field with HTML block containing html script for hiding: see instructions here: https://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/common-customizations/how-to-hide-fields-in-datapages/

Then, make a rule that if the virtual field is not blank, it will hide the date field.

with this, the date field will only appear if it has no pre-defined value. 

I hope this helps.