Need help with an IF THEN statement in a trigger action

DavidwDavis

Question

I'm working on a trigger action (part of it pictured below) using an IF THEN logic where lots of data are inserted into various tables when a comparison is true versus not being inserted when a comparison is false. It works great when the comparison is simple, such as 1 equals 1 versus 1 equals 2.  But what I want to compare is a student_id being inserted versus a student_id in a different table. The logic I need is: If the student_id being inserted in table A is not in table B then all of the insertions will occur. If the student_id being inserted in table A is already in table B then none of the insertions will occur.

My problem is figuring out how to create this field comparison between student_id in  what is being inserted and student_id in another table. This is what I have been trying and it doesn't work. I've also tried putting in joins but that hasn't worked either. I've tried not using TOP in each select but then I get an error message. I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks for any help!

David Davis

1734584101_exampletrigger.thumb.JPG.e8d721c4c5da81939ffb397eb7a0d86b.JPG

4 answers to this question

NiceDuck,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the help!

I realize I only provided a small snippet to keep things focused so you weren't able to see the entire trigger, which is lengthy and has multiple record insert actions in it. I would have had to use lots of where conditions. Using one IF THEN statement actually kept the trigger simpler and easier to understand.

David Davis