Cross site tracking

drckarcher

Question

Hi,

we currently use  CASPIO for an internal staff database and are currently exploring options for a larger application for external clients.

One of the significant downsides of CASPIO is the issue of 'cross site tracking' which has to be activated by each client individually, otherwise they can't log into the system.

Would you see this as a dealbreaker for a customer facing application, given some customers wouldn't like the setting to be changed? What are the alternatives?

With kind regards, Christian

7 answers to this question

Personally, I think it would be a deal breaker.

Like you, I also use Caspio for internal staff uses. It is such a pain to have to have each new member turn off the 'Prevent Cross-Site Tracking' before using any of our apps, then explain to them what it means and why. Even the fact that it has 'tracking' in the name causes a lot of confusion for some people who aren't too versed in technology.

For me, it seems to only be happening on Apple devices. Only problem is that's probably the majority of users.

I think asking the public to change this setting on their phones would be too problematic for most to continue on with whatever you're trying to get them to do, even if that is to just scroll through your site.

If it is something maybe more important, such as a health information application or something, then maybe you'll get more people to use the app then not. But, otherwise, it's gotta be pretty dang good to get the user to go through that process to use your apps. In my opinion.

I am not sure of any alternatives.

10 hours ago, kpcollier said:

Personally, I think it would be a deal breaker.

Like you, I also use Caspio for internal staff uses. It is such a pain to have to have each new member turn off the 'Prevent Cross-Site Tracking' before using any of our apps, then explain to them what it means and why. Even the fact that it has 'tracking' in the name causes a lot of confusion for some people who aren't too versed in technology.

For me, it seems to only be happening on Apple devices. Only problem is that's probably the majority of users.

I think asking the public to change this setting on their phones would be too problematic for most to continue on with whatever you're trying to get them to do, even if that is to just scroll through your site.

If it is something maybe more important, such as a health information application or something, then maybe you'll get more people to use the app then not. But, otherwise, it's gotta be pretty dang good to get the user to go through that process to use your apps. In my opinion.

I am not sure of any alternatives.

I am afraid your assessment is spot on! One issue is that the required setting change is a global one (for all websites) and not just limited to this one application.

I'm keen to hear other views, but I think we have to go looking elsewhere.

Hi, 

just a quick update..... we are working with the CASPIO support on a solution and it looks promising.

This is the initial reply I received and we had a video call with the developers tonight.

The Domain mapping Solution can help you resolve the issue. It enables Caspio to work on all browsers through DNS records. This is done by deploying Caspio using a subdomain relative to the domain that the application will be hosted at. To simplify, the deployment will look something like caspio.mysite.com. By doing this, all cookies set by Caspio are treated as First Party Cookie to the mysite.com domain. This solution ensures 100% compatibility with all browsers.

The way I (as a layman) understand the problem is that by default the links to the data pages contain the customer's username, which is somewhat a generic link. This allows users to deploy their applications wherever they like without any further changes required. This requires however cross site tracking to be enabled.

The new solution will have the specific deployment domain or subdomain in the link. It is therefore specific for that domain (or subdomain) and does not require cross site tracking.

The words one of the developers used was "We have to put the username in the links because we don't know in advance where users want to deploy their applications"

I hope this makes sense, and we can't wait to see whether this will work as intended.