Does View update itself if source Table design is changed?

telepet

Question

I've created a View that utilizes several tables.  When I update the design of a Table, I'm not seeing that change reflected in my View.  Is this normal behavior, or perhaps I'm overlooking something? 

As a work-around, I can delete the view, and create another, using the same tables (which by this point have the mentioned Design change already in place), and everything just works.  I'd love to find quicker way to go about this though.

4 answers to this question

I have found that if you add a new field to a table, and you have a view associated with the table the field added to the table shows in the view without the “Include field in View” box checked.
If you go into the view and navigate to “Field Properties”, you will find your newly added field at the bottom of the list, select it, then check the “Include field in View” check box under field options.

2 minutes ago, JEllington said:

I have found that if you add a new field to a table, and you have a view associated with the table the field added to the table shows in the view without the “Include field in View” box checked.

Brilliant!  This seems to be working.  You saved me a ton of time-- thanks!

Each time you open a view or call a view via DataPage, view is making a call to table to filter the data. Therefore the data is being generated on each call so data is updated. But as for the design as it is mentioned above newly added fields should be available in the wizard but they need to be included (by default they are not included in view).

You also have the option to change the name of the fields in the view to make them shorter. By default you have TableName_FieldName if you change table name part and leave "_" by moving to next field system will ask you if you want to have the same naming for other fields as well to change them all at once

2 minutes ago, MayMusic said:

By default you have TableName_FieldName if you change table name part and leave "_" by moving to next field system will ask you if you want to have the same naming for other fields as well to change them all at once

Cool-- I didn't know about this trick.  Thanks!