Can I add a general search box to my report?

ctfdevourer

Question

I have a report I'm using to search through various fields of my table. I would like to include a search box that can search for a term within/across all of my fields.
Is this doable? How?

Edit: I've continued to look for this info and I found this article
http://howto.caspio.com/faq/reports-datapages/how-to-do-keyword-search-across-multiple-fields/
But, I don't understand the steps. When I go to create a submission form, I don't know what field(s) to include. I can't seem to tie the form and report together, and the search doesn't end up working. I'm not sure it's even what I'm looking for.

Thanks!!

6 answers to this question

You need to have a table with no unique value as the source of the page. It is easier to create a table with one text field. And then create a submission page based on this table and select the field to the right. In configure Fields screen from the picker add virtual field and remove the actual field. Here is a tutorial with more details: http://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/tech-parameters/how-to-separate-search-page-and-results-page-into-two-different-webpages/

On 11/15/2016 at 6:32 PM, MayMusic said:

You need to have a table with no unique value as the source of the page. It is easier to create a table with one text field. And then create a submission page based on this table and select the field to the right. In configure Fields screen from the picker add virtual field and remove the actual field. Here is a tutorial with more details: http://howto.caspio.com/tech-tips-and-articles/tech-parameters/how-to-separate-search-page-and-results-page-into-two-different-webpages/

Ok, I was able to follow these steps and successfully create a separate search report. Because it's a separate report, however, Is it possible to include this search on my primary search report that allows users to select data using a search form? Ultimately, I want to be able to filter the data using both/either this full search and/or another field search of my datapage.

Thanks so much for the help!

Hi, just to add to the previous comment above on how to achieve one general search box, you may check this link for reference:

In that forum post, is another workaround, which is on your table, add another field and set it to Formula. Then, concatenate the fields you want to use in your report. If all your field are in Text datatype , you can use [@field:FieldName1] + ' ' + [@field:FieldName2] on your Formula Field. Then, use this formula field as your search criteria.

On 11/12/2016 at 4:36 PM, ctfdevourer said:

I have a report I'm using to search through various fields of my table. I would like to include a search box that can search for a term within/across all of my fields.
Is this doable? How?

Edit: I've continued to look for this info and I found this article
http://howto.caspio.com/faq/reports-datapages/how-to-do-keyword-search-across-multiple-fields/
But, I don't understand the steps. When I go to create a submission form, I don't know what field(s) to include. I can't seem to tie the form and report together, and the search doesn't end up working. I'm not sure it's even what I'm looking for.

Thanks!!

The submission form will serve as your search page. You will just need to add virtual fields so that the entered data will not be saved to the table. You may also refer to this article.

~JolliBeng

For future reference, here's a video guide on how to create a separate search form and result page: 

On 9/7/2019 at 10:51 PM, JolliBeng said:

The submission form will serve as your search page. You will just need to add virtual fields so that the entered data will not be saved to the table. You may also refer to this article.

~JolliBeng