Login to follow this  
Heineperson

Concatenate column values as string in calculated field

Question

Hello,

I would like to create a calculated field in tabular report datapage that displays a column in related table as a concatenated string.

For Example, many of my apps use the tblPlants as a data source. This is a table of plant species that has a one-to-many relationship with many other tables. I would like to present a field in the report that lists the the botanical gardens for each plant is found in from the tblBG as a string. 

SELECT STRING_AGG(tblBG.Garden,",")

FROM tblBG

WHERE tblBG.PlantID = [@field:PlantID];

I get an error that say there is a syntax error near "(", which I take to meant hat the STRING_AGG function does not exist. Is there another function I could use to accomplish this?

2 answers to this question

On 9/12/2017 at 7:55 PM, Heineperson said:

Hello,

I would like to create a calculated field in tabular report datapage that displays a column in related table as a concatenated string.

For Example, many of my apps use the tblPlants as a data source. This is a table of plant species that has a one-to-many relationship with many other tables. I would like to present a field in the report that lists the the botanical gardens for each plant is found in from the tblBG as a string. 

SELECT STRING_AGG(tblBG.Garden,",")

FROM tblBG

WHERE tblBG.PlantID = [@field:PlantID];

I get an error that say there is a syntax error near "(", which I take to meant hat the STRING_AGG function does not exist. Is there another function I could use to accomplish this?

Calculated field can return only one value. Perhaps, you may create a view, join tables and then use that view as a data source for report with grouping.

Hope that helps.