Change data type from Autonumber/GUID/Random to other data type.

HampasLOUpa

Question

4 answers to this question

Hello HampasLOUpa,

If you want to interchange those special DataTypes (Autonumber, GUID, Random ID) to each other or change them to other DataTypes (Number, Integer, Calendar, etc), change them to Text(255) first and then to your desired DataType.

Interchanging special DataTypes (Autonumber, GUID, Random ID) to other DataTypes directly won't work. I'm not really sure why but think this by design.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Hi @HampasLOUpa,

May I ask if your field with this kind of data type was linked to another table? Are you having an error like this "Cannot delete or change this field because of one or more dependencies"? If yes, try to click "Show details", from there you can see what are the dependencies. You have to remove their relationship first, after that, you can already change the data type. But, be aware that this can affect the functionality of your application.

Hello @HampasLOUpa

Just to add to @kristina answer, you can choose this way of changing the Field's  Data type if you're manipulating a small table.  You can duplicate the field itself, then change the Data type of that field then associate it to your DataPages, View or other Tables. This is the simplest way to change a field's Data type, but you might want to consider first the existing connection you have on this table before doing so.

Hi @AnchovyXL,

This worked! :D 

But I think it only works for errors like this: http://prntscr.com/latcp1

Cheers!

On 10/12/2018 at 7:00 AM, AnchovyXL said:

Hello HampasLOUpa,

If you want to interchange those special DataTypes (Autonumber, GUID, Random ID) to each other or change them to other DataTypes (Number, Integer, Calendar, etc), change them to Text(255) first and then to your desired DataType.

Interchanging special DataTypes (Autonumber, GUID, Random ID) to other DataTypes directly won't work. I'm not really sure why but think this by design.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!