Table trigger to simultaneously count new value and table values

Altair

Question

6 answers to this question

What you can do is use this task trigger config as a template if you want to combine the old table data plus the newly inserted data.
image.thumb.png.6277a6ae47343629e0c3423785b0d67b.png

With this, you can different sorts of operations and to manipulate values (pre-insert values and post-insert value) using a trigger upon insert.

First question is, how are you counting the records. Do you have a parent table where the counter is going to be saved?

The reason why the inserted record is not being counted, because if you do the Select count on the trigger - the trigger will be counting the records that are currently inside the table. 

So when it comes to counting or summing the values, you need to include the #inserted value. Or in this case, you can just simply add 1 to the Select Count query. 

Hope this helps. 

Glitch();

I took a slightly different approach, by counting the existing distinct records in the target table and adding 1 if the distinct record value does not already exist, and combining it with a very simple triggered action, like this as in my test app:

In the form, I added the 'Count' field:

(SELECT COUNT (DISTINCT Perspective) FROM CasePerspectives WHERE CaseID=target.[@field:CaseID])  + [@cbParamVirtual1]

And a virtual field Virtual 1:

CASE WHEN (SELECT COUNT (DISTINCT Perspective) FROM CasePerspectives WHERE CaseID=target.[@field:CaseID] AND Perspective = target.[@field:Perspective]) = 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0  END

The 'Count' value will then be the number of distinct values in the last saved record.

The  following triggered action in the target table:

image.png.249f9c4d971156fd387ab82f4989581f.png

22 hours ago, Flowers4Algernon said:

Hello! Just wanted to share this how-to link should you guys want to read more about Triggered Actions: https://howto.caspio.com/tables-and-views/triggered-actions/

Thanks, I have read it a few times, but might need it once more. I would like a more comprehensive description of triggered actions, also the more complex! Right now I need a triggered action that recounts a number when a distinct value of another field is removed..