Add multiple items to a header record on one data page?

AccessNerd

Question

Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for adding multiple items to a single header item. In my case I have PM's creating requests for tools. Then later I have the vendor assigning specific tools to that request.

In the first data page, the PMs are creating a request. They fill out some header information, but then they need to add desired tool types with some add'l information about the tool. They can request one or multiple tools on this single request. 

The vendor will also view a data page for that request, and then assign specific tools that match the requested tools from the PMs.

In another development tool I'd just use a sub form. But with Caspio and my limited knowledge the data pages feel rather static from a design perspective, and I can't find how to design it with this needed flexibility.

Any pointers?

5 answers to this question

16 hours ago, AccessNerd said:

Another way to ask this, If I were creating an invoice for example, how would someone add the individual items? It's not always going to be one item per invoice right?

It would, unfortunately. You may use Inline Insert of Reports DataPage (most probably Tabular), you can filter it with the ID of the request, and receive the ID in the field of Inline Insert, so every insert will be connected to that ID. Or you can try Triggers 

18 hours ago, sandy159 said:

Hi @AccessNerd,

Perhaps, the tutorial for the generating invoices will give you an idea: 

12 hours ago, lengleng said:

It would, unfortunately. You may use Inline Insert of Reports DataPage (most probably Tabular), you can filter it with the ID of the request, and receive the ID in the field of Inline Insert, so every insert will be connected to that ID. Or you can try Triggers 

Thanks,

I had looked at the invoice video previously. I may be able to make that work, but it seems like such a long way around a simple "relational database" concept - detail and adding/editing related detail on a single web page. Anyway, I appreciate all the direction and help, and hopefully I'll be able to make that work.