authentication field parameter returning null value

aaronfreed

Question

my one authentication is built from a view based on a user_ table. when i build a report from that view, all fields present their expected values, that is, they show the values that are in the user_ table.

however, when i build an HTML page and select authentication fields for embed (using the 'insert parameter' feature), not all fields present their expected values. for instance:

[@authfield: user__first_name] prints out the user's first name on the HTML page

and [@authfield: user__last_name] prints out the user's last name on the HTML page

and even [@authfield: user__display_name] (which is a function that concatenates the first and last name) prints out the user's first name on the HTML page

HOWEVER

[@authfield: user__original_user_id] displays nothing even though it has a text field value of IAQM6XBX in the user table (upon which the authentication view is built, and, again, which prints out just fine in a tabular report built from that view)

AND

[@authfield: user__has_a_pool] displays nothing even though the text field has a value of 'Y' in the user table, and even though it prints out just fine in the tabular report built from the view.

the only theory i have for why this might be is that the fields that are displaying nothing did not exist when the table was first created; they were later added. that is, i suspect that some caspio features don't update after initial creation (such as authentication view fields). i have created new views based on the updated table, but that hasn't helped. the only thing i haven't tested is creating a whole new table, which i am loathe to do.  

a perhaps related issue is that i have noted that when i change / add fields in tables - and ensure that those changes are duly reflected in the views that they participate in - datapage lookups for those views still do not reflect the changes in the table fields. in other words, if i were to change 'field ABC' to 'field XYZ' in a table, i can confirm that the change is reflected in view. however, when  i select that view as a lookup table for a datapage's dropdown field, i will still see 'field ABC' and not see 'field XYZ'.  that is, it is as if the original blueprint of the table/view is preserved. 

so, any thoughts? thanks for reading this far.

4 answers to this question

i figured it out. i was changing the value of a field that was used in the active authentication. that is, it appears that authentication fields do not update unless/until you logout and then re-login. thus, i was getting null values because the field value was null at the time i logged in. i think this is something that needs be addressed. thoughts?