Execute Trigger From Button On Datapage

kpcollier

Question

Alright... obviously, you can't just have a button out there that a user can click to run a trigger on a table. However, I'm trying to simulate something like this...

I have a Certificates Report, which displays information related to the certificates that our employees have. These certificates have an expiration date and an expiry status. 

We have about 8 certificates that each employee renews every year at our annual safety meeting. 8 certificates each x our amount of employees is a lot of work to manually update from a tabular report.

I'm trying to figure out a way to let one of my users update specific Certificates in my table to reflect a new date and a Active status with little effort. The perfect workflow would be to have a button that would run a trigger when clicked. Building the trigger that updates the fields on specific certificates is not a problem for me, but getting the trigger to execute from the front end - on a tabular report - seems challenging.

I would like to not have to use another datapage, if possible... 

If any of you have solved a similar problem another way, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Hi @kpcollier,

In order to get trigger to execute, you will have to either insert/update/delete some record, and on Tabular Report, simplest way is to use update with inline/bulk/grid edit options.

As for some other way, I am thinking that it might be possible to create a new Submission Form, where all fields will be hidden, except for 'Submit' button (which can be customized). Then, you can use that deployed Submission Form (as iFrame directly in Report, or otherwise) in Report just to insert something into any table, on which you will have your trigger set.

My idea still involves an extra datapage. As @KlisaN137 said, the trigger will only activates when there are activities on the table such as insert/update/delete. What I did on my end is that I created a submission form that is set to insert data on dummy table. The submission form is also set to capture data from external parameters and is set to autosubmit and autoclose.  

On the tabular report, I have created a button that will create a pop-up form of the submission form, I passed the data that I needed there as a parameter.  Then on the Dummy table, there is where I set the triggers (insert trigger), that I wanted to do.

In the end, it still involves a datapage.

@kpcollier I think you can modify the code provided here to create your desired workflow. What I'm proposing would be adding a yes/no field on your table that will serve as checker for updates and in tandem with that would be a trigger that will run on update, check if the updated record has a checkbox that is set to yes and run your trigger, At the end of that trigger you would need to reset the value of the checkbox to "unchecked" so you can click the button again and it will comply with the condition inside the trigger.