trouble shoot triggered actions

Sam23

Question

I am a newbie trying to write my first triggered action.

I have watched several tutorials and my trigger code validates and saves, but there is no action in the tables. I am trying to insert a record into table 2 when a record is inserted into table1. Simple enough.

What are suggestions for trouble shooting the trigger? I have validated that the tables relationship is there, that I am using the inserted data (not the table name). My trigger looks identical to examples in this forum and on Caspio videos. 

Thanks for suggestions

Sam

5 answers to this question

Here is the triggered action. When I insert a record into the Contact table, I want to insert a record into the Users table taking the ContactID (primary key of the Contact table) and putting that in the User1 table as a foreign key.

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 11.13.02 AM.png

6 minutes ago, Sam23 said:

Here is the triggered action. When I insert a record into the Contact table, I want to insert a record into the Users table taking the ContactID (primary key of the Contact table) and putting that in the User1 table as a foreign key.

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 11.13.02 AM.png

that seems to be correct, try removing the the relationships first if it will work, but that should work

Another thing to note - 

• In the case of referential integrity enabled in a relationship, if a trigger executes on an insert event to the parent table, and inserts a record to the child table, the Triggered Action will fail. This is due to the action of inserting a record to the child table occurring first, thus failing the integrity check as the parent record does not yet exist.

https://howto.caspio.com/tables-and-views/triggered-actions/

In relation to the statement by @kpcollier, The newly inserted records during trigger run are temporarily stored on a proxy table represented by "#inserted", on this case, until the trigger ends, it is not considered as a content of the parent table yet.

On additional note, make sure that you have a backup of the tables involved or do your triggers first on test tables. Trigger actions directly affects the data you have on the tables and one wrong move can make a mess of them and you will have to pay for restoration.