Authentication/Login Page Looping Issue

steveruehlen

Question

Is anyone else encountering a looping error when the application login page redirects to another page? Our application contains a login page and up until yesterday once a user enters his or her login credentials, the user is re-directed their respective home page. This morning,  when a user enters his or her credentials the user is re-directed to his or her home page and then immediately re-directed to the login page and then immediately re-directed to the home page...and this is an endless loop. Caspio does not have an answer, although I suspect it has something to do with last night 

15 answers to this question

18 hours ago, steveruehlen said:

Is anyone else encountering a looping error when the application login page redirects to another page? Our application contains a login page and up until yesterday once a user enters his or her login credentials, the user is re-directed their respective home page. This morning,  when a user enters his or her credentials the user is re-directed to his or her home page and then immediately re-directed to the login page and then immediately re-directed to the home page...and this is an endless loop. Caspio does not have an answer, although I suspect it has something to do with last night 

Yes, I experienced this issue as well. It was resolved by clearing the cache and browser. Not the perfect fix but at least users can log-in. 

Thanks Douvega I will try that to see if it works. 

I'm with you on the whole clear cache external user situation steveruehlen. This is my issue as well. 

I also experienced some styling issues with my reports so I'm afraid to touch anything at the moment. I have Caspio support assisting so I'm hoping that will also be resolved. 

Thank you both for your input. 

Bre. 

Thanks, Douvega. Unfortunately, that did not work for us. After adding a field to the authentication and then deleting it, I asked a customer to log in (a customer who has not logged in for a couple of days) and she getting the looping error. We have discovered another workaround, it's not great. If you have a logout button on the home page users are directed to after logging in, if they click that button and then log back in, the problem is fixed. Essentially logging out clears the login credentials from cache. 

Our end-users are once again experiencing this problem (endless looping between the login page and the page they are directed to after logging in). It does not matter which browser they use, the problem persists with all browsers. These reports are coming from end-users who are using a PC, not a mobile device. Are any of you also hearing reports of this? 

Hi steveruehlen,

Did you try clearing the cache on your device? If you did so but the issue does not go away, you might want to review the process flow of your website. Else, if it does fix the issue, you may just ask your users to hit Ctrl + F5 (or command key + F5) on erroneous pages. Works 90% of the time.

Possible things that might cause Looping Redirection usually include the following. Try disabling them and re-enabling them one by one:

1.) Authentication > Designated entry page (Set to none)

1308320924_ForumAuth.png.5cb98dd80cb2cad7ddf9336042cc04a6.png

--

2. A script on your webpage that redirects you to (or back and forth) the same page. [Usually within by HTML DataPages]

3. A combination of both.

4. Your deployed DataPages have different authentications (related to item #1)

5. If your DataPages are supposed to have different authentications, you might need to check 'Enable cross-app login'.

Hope this helps even for a bit.

Regards,

DN31337

DefinitelyNot31337 Thank you for the info.  I confirmed the the "Designated entry page" does not = None.  Regarding the two authentications that take place when a person logs in: the first  authentication is for the login page, authenticating the user name and password.  The second authenticates the user based on their role (value in a specific authentication field,  then the script directs the user to a specific home page based on role, or value in that field. So the two pages use different authentications as you noted, but  I confirmed the 'Enable cross-app login' is indeed checked.  I have looked at the authentications and datapages literally 20 times and do not see anything out of order based on the setup documentation I found in the Caspio help. If there is something wrong in the setup and I am missing it, then I don't know what to look for. When the next customer calls in, I will try the CTL F5 idea. 

Any updates on this?  CTRL-F5 and clearing cache may work sometimes but is confusing for our users that are not as computer savvy, and I don't believe that's platform agnostic guidance either.  So, any alternative solutions would wonderful to hear.  Thanks!